by Hellenic Association of Urban and Regional Planners (SEMPXPA)
Chair: Nikos Koutsomarkos, Member of SEMPXPA’s Board
Co-chair: INTENSSS-PA Project, funded by HORIZON2020
Title: Integrated Sustainable Energy Spatial Planning
The desired and ongoing shift towards more renewable energy in our energy system will have vast consequences for both our physical landscapes (e.g. the urban fabric, infrastructure, agricultural land, visibility) and the socioeconomic landscape (e.g. new energy cooperatives and alliances, new and altered business cases, combined energy consumption and production facilities, etc.). Consequently, spatial planning is identified as a mechanism that could contribute to the development of spatial designs and concepts focused at integrating energy projects within both physical and socioeconomic landscapes, while simultaneously fostering the development of new institutional designs and formats that facilitate such an integrative effort.
Holistic energy planning assumes that linking alternative land use functions and the interests associated with them has important benefits. The idea is then that sustainable energy provision might well go hand-in-hand with the pursuit of alternative societal interests and developments; for example, related to agriculture, nature maintenance, mobility or economic development. Energy in combinations to other existing interests can contribute in reducing problems regarding economic decline, liveability in small villages, costs for nature conservation etc. Overall, holistic energy planning provides direction for identifying and understanding the area-based conditions that may enable or accommodate energy initiatives to emerge and grow while being supported by the local society and connected to the local economy.
The special session explores and focuses on issues such as:
- The identification of drivers and enablers of holistic energy planning in local communities,
- The identification of the characteristics of a decision-making/planning environment that supports not only holistic energy planning but holistic spatial planning,
- The way that integration of the energy theme in spatial planning favors regional development, as well as the extent that holistic energy planning supports the implementation of energy projects,
- The alternative approaches for human and institutional capacity building with regards to holistic energy planning,
- Institutional and governance aspects in relation to interdisciplinary, participatory energy, spatial & regional planning.