The 2nd International Conference on
“Changing Cities: Spatial, Design, Landscape & Socio-economic Dimensions”
Porto Heli, Peloponnese, Greece, 22-26 June 2015
is organized by the Department of Planning and Regional Development, University of Thessaly, under the aegis of the Greek Ministry of Environment, Energy & Climate Change.
In the last decades, we have all witnessed a series of universal changes and developments affecting cities:
- The formation of urban networks and city-hierarchies under the conditions of economic globalization and European integration.
- The rise of post-industrial urban economies, mainly involving ICTs and leisure activities
- Emerging new patterns of urban space morphology and landscape
- Climate change, deteriorating conditions of environment and new challenges involving green urban design and sustainable urban planning
- Informational societies, multi-ethic and multi-cultural urban societies.
In this milieu, cities change willfully and ad hoc while scholars and practitioners in design and planning analyse, design and plan cities in order to adapt them to the new conditions.
The main conference theme is:
“Planning and Designing resilient cities under economic and environmental uncertainty”
The conference thematic fields include the following:
- Urban Design in Planning,
- Sustainable Urban Planning & Development,
- Urban Landscapes, Landscape Planning & Design,
- Architectural Design & New Technologies,
- Urban Cultures & Public Open Spaces,
- Historical Centers & Built Heritage Management,
- Environmental Urban Planning,
- Green Architecture & Urban Design,
- Transportation Planning and Policy in cities,
- Urban Planning Laws, Real Estate & Property Rights,
- Urban Economies & spatial impacts,
- Place Marketing & City Branding,
- Shrinking cities,
- Divided cities,
- Resilient cities
- Migration, multinational and multicultural societies & Urban Planning.
The conference aspires to bring together urban planners and designers, architects, landscape designers, urban geographers, urban economists, urban sociologists, and demographers, and investigate all together new challenges concerning cities and their future. The conference aims at becoming an international forum of transaction of ideas on changing cities.
All academic researchers, professionals and policy makers interested in the area of the conference are invited to present papers related to the conference topics. Indicate your preference for an oral or poster presentation.
The submitted manuscripts will be reviewed by the Scientific Committee and the authors will be notified on time of the outcome of the evaluation.
The manuscripts that will be selected as oral or poster presentations will be published in hard copy at the conference book of abstracts. Full papers will be published in book format e-Proceedings with a separate ISBN number.
The organizing committee is in contact with international scientific journals and selected papers from the conference may be published in special issues, after they have been reviewed. The participants will be informed regarding this possibility by e-mail.
With kind regards,
Professor of Urban Planning & Design, University of Thessaly,
Dept. of Planning & Regional Development,
President of the Organising Committee.